Council agreed on Financial Plan only a year ago.
‘Already receiving million euros yearly to cut deficit.’
Sligo News File Online.
The Government has apparently again rebuffed calls to help Sligo County Council out of its sweeping debt pile.
According to accounts, the council has debts of around €120 million.
During a recent Dail debate, Local Government Minister, Simon Coveney referenced a financial plan the authority had signed up to.
He said this had been accepted by the council and his department only a year ago. Under it, his department agreed to give Sligo an extra €1 million each year over a five-year period.
In heated exchanges, the minister branded local Fianna Fail TD, Marc MacSharry “a joke.”
Following a meeting with Coveney on Thursday, MacSharry issued a statement saying the minister’s department had “placed a stranglehold on Sligo County Council.”
He said the financial plan which the council was being “forced” to follow “is deeply unfair and is curtailing essential services.”
He had “made it clear” to Coveney that “the current timeframe and targets cannot be met.
“There are a number of imminent capital projects, including the upgrade of O’Connell Street and the construction of social housing units, which cannot be deferred.”
He said the council must be permitted to recruit staff “to ensure these important projects are progressed without delay.”