Permission to demolish existing structure at Knockaglana.
Sligo News File.
An Bord Pleanala has dismissed objections and granted planning permission for the demolition of a former guesthouse on the shores of Lough Cullin at Knockaglana, Pontoon.
The building known as Healy’s Hotel dates back to 1836 when it was used as a Mail Coach changing station. Subsequently converted to a fishing lodge in 1895, the 14 bedroomed part of the building was damaged by fire in 2011.
Mayo County Council last year approved the redevelopment of the site, including the removal of the existing structure and outbuildings. The permission, subject to 22 conditions, granted in the name of Pontoon Angler’s Hotel Limited, and which provided for the construction of a new two storey guest house with 14 guest and two staff rooms, bar, restaurant and function room facilities on the site of the existing premises was appealed to the Planning Board.
Concerns raised in objections to the Board related to, among other issues, loss of the existing building, heritage, history of the building, and sensitivity of the area to development in terms of habitat, ecosystems and landscape.
Recommending that permission be granted, Bord Inspector Colm McLoughlin concluded that the proposed guesthouse development would be in accordance with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area. The permission is subject to 17 conditions.